Saturday, April 27, 2013

Not Done Yet

Some day in the last couple of days we flew from Rome to Ottawa, then we spent two nights in Ottawa with friends and yesterday came out to the throbbing metropolis of Barry's Bay.  Scout was graduating today, and Polly was receiving a diploma of Christian Studies available to those who have taken the required courses provided for such a one year program.

Absorbing and processing our amazing time in Italy will have to be put on hold for the moment, as we want to wrap ourselves up in this moment.  But it is part of our trip so I'm including it here.  I'll get back to "things we learned while away," to wrap up Italy in a few days.  When I am home, sleeping in my own comfy bed.  Then, and only then, will I REFLECT.

My Babies.

Last night we went to a reception for visiting parents, staff and graduating students.  During the lovely social time, the cat leaped out of the bag that my baby Scout was chosen Valedictorian for her class.  She wanted to keep it a surprise, but apparently not everyone knew that and, actually, we just had our surprise a few hours early.

I knew she would do an awesome job.  But, um, excuse me, she did an AMAZING job!  Approximately hundreds of people complimented us afterwards, and even a few said they wanted to meet me BECAUSE I was the mother of such a person.  Well.

If she allows me, I am going to include some of the text from her talk in a blog post because she is so stinking smart.  And funny.  And beautiful.  And.  She had the  audience in tears and in stitches, her fellow students, staff and clergy, including Cardinal Collins of Toronto (who by the way, is an incredible speaker an no small act to follow).  With humour and pathos, she touched her audience deeply.  Did I mention I was so proud?

Then, my friends, My Babies did this.  Scout receives her diploma with Magna Cum Laude, and Sweet Polly with a Summa Cum Laude...so much cream.  Beautiful, holy girls, faithful, loving, kind, courageous AND smart.  No way, it is not possible.

More than my poor heart can hold, my friends.

More than my poor heart can hold.

And so, tomorrow we head off to Ottawa again and stay some undetermined place near the airport.  We take our daughters home and, for some short time, our family will be all together.

And then some.  For, my friends, we have a the honour and pleasure of taking home with us a newcomer to the family.  Polly, it seems, acquired more than just good formation and good marks at school, but also a gentleman friend.

And, now that we have met said friend in person, we can attest that her men choosing skills are well honed (like her mother).  She has chosen a handsome, attentive, devoted wildcard who fairly bubbles over with mischief and joy.  

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Praise God for such gifts!
    You have much to be joyful and proud about.

    Therese :) ..happy, happy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my Therese! I took a picture of your sweet Stephen receiving HIS Summa Cum Laude, I will email it to you as soon as my phone is charged up!!

    ReplyDelete